Jeff Koser is today’s guest and has more than 30 years experience in sales and consulting growing sales 10X for big software and hardware companies.
Jeff authored the book “Selling to Zebras” and founded Selling to Zebras Consulting. Looking for avenues to grow his consulting business, he approached numerous investors without luck and decided to create an online sales tool with great success.
Jeff believes that good prospects should be as easy to spot as a zebra. Far too many of us are missing the clear picture of the problem we are really solving for our clients.
Maybe you recognize it from the time you had to create the message for your landing page to sell your product or service. When we are not clear about who our dream client is, what the problem is that we are solving, then the message becomes unclear and conversion of prospects suffer.
What you will learn
Some background on why it’s important for us to get a grip on our sales process to fill our pipeline with better prospects and close sales faster:
- 85% of the opportunities in your pipeline will never close (Accenture, CEB)
- Customers are 57% of the way along their buying journey before they even contact a seller (CEB)
- There are almost 7 different buyers or buying influences, and a complex B2B sale (CEB)
- 65% of a sales reps time is spent on non-sales activities (CEB, Aberdeen Group)
Understanding the problem we are solving for our customers and our value proposition by connecting with our customers.
The seven attributes to describe your Zebras (dream clients)
- Organizational profile
Your process for closing contracts with your Zebras
- Identify your Zebras
- Identify “Power”, the 6-7 influencers in the Zebra organization
- Meet with Power
- Partner to verify Power
- Co-present findings
- Negotiate contract
- Close deal
- Force success
- Jeff talks about how we understand and learn to talk to different influencers (power) in the customer organization.
- Getting a shared vision of the problem being solved and the solution, across influencers (power) helps us increase deal size and shorten the sales cycle.
- Why Jeff left his corporate sales career to starting “Selling to Zebras”.
- How the Selling to Zebra method and tool changed dramatically after Jeff started to apply it to other client businesses.
- Moving the sales pipeline tool from excel to a SaaS tool took 12 months.
- Jeff views that Selling to Zebras allows us to only sell to those who really need our product rather than waste time, money and create frustration by trying to sell to customers that are not a good fit.
- How Selling to Zebras is all about identifying the core business problem, the solution and not about functions and features.
Resources mentioned in this episode
Selling to Zebras Website www.sellingtozebras.com
Book on Amazon “Selling to Zebras” by Jeff & Chad Koser
Connect with Jeff Koser
Are you looking to start your own sales consultancy, the “Selling to Zebras” methodology and tools is what you are looking for.
Reach out to Jeff @ www.sellingtozebras.com